Leicester City v Manchester City

December 12, 2016 13:16
Manchester City are without three players against Leicester because of suspension

TEAM NEWS

Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is close to a return after a hand injury, although he is unlikely to play against his former club on Saturday.

Nampalys Mendy only returned from injury in midweek and will not start, while Danny Drinkwater is still banned.

Manchester City trio Sergio Aguero, Fernandinho and Nicolas Otamendi are all serving suspensions.

Raheem Sterling is expected to be involved after missing the last two matches with a knee injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: "Advent. A time of expectant waiting and preparation.

"Leicester fans have been waiting for the successful Champions League autumn campaign to end and, according to so many, the league results to improve after one win in nine free-falling games.

"I'm not convinced. There are too many missing factors from last season's success.

"But this could be the game to bounce back. City will be badly weakened by self-inflicted suspensions. Four wins in 14 games is dire form. Much will depend on the appetite of Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez."

Twitter: @jpearcefootball

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri: "I want players to play for the team, to be strong, to fight and to be competitive - I want no more. If you lose this how can you win?

"Not even the big players can win without fight. That is football.

"Last season we won because some big teams didn't fight as well as us and now we want that back, not to win the title but to defend the title and not be in the relegation zone."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Leicester need to screw their heads back on, and quickly, because the other teams around them at the bottom might not have as much quality but they will be fighting hard for survival.

Funnily enough, this game might be just what Leicester need - a big game against a big club.

Teams can definitely get at City too.

Prediction: 2-1

Lawro's full predictions v singer Robbie Williams

Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Leicester took four points off Manchester City last season, winning 3-1 away and drawing 0-0 at home.

However, the Foxes have never won at home to City in the Premier League (D2, L3), with their last home victory in any competition coming in February 1988 in the old Division Two.

Leicester City

Leicester have only won one of their last nine league matches (D3, L5) and they are without a win in five games.

However, they have lost just one of their seven home matches in the Premier League this season (W3, D3).

Their return of 13 points is the second-worst record after 14 games of any defending champion in top-flight history, after Ipswich in 1962-63 (12 points).

Riyad Mahrez has created just one goal-scoring chance for Jamie Vardy in the Premier League this season, despite them playing 939 minutes together.

Vardy has failed to score in his last 16 appearances for Leicester in all competitions. His last goal came in their 4-1 defeat at Liverpool on 10 September.

Manchester City

Manchester City have won six of their seven away games in the Premier League this season, the best record in the division.

However, they have only won four of their last 14 matches in all competitions (D6, L4).

City have scored in all but one of their 14 league matches under Pep Guardiola, but they have kept a clean sheet in just two of those games.

Their tally of 30 points is Guardiola's lowest as a manager after 14 games of a top-flight season.

Kelechi Iheanacho has scored five goals in the last five Premier League matches that Sergio Aguero hasn't played.

SAM's verdict Most probable score: 1-1 Probability of draw: 25% Probability of home win: 32% Probability of away win: 43%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

Similar news